Final Post

Hi everyone,

I have been a bit absent from the blog for a while. This will be the last post from Fig Tree Creek Permaculture. Brodie and I have split up and will be selling the property.

Before we sell we will be doing a big renovation which will keep me busy for a while. After that I plan on saving up for a couple years and preparing my car for a BIG trip around Australia, WWOOFing my way around permaculture properties. I have been thinking about doing this for a while now and the opportunity has presented itself (not exactly in the way I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers!).

I will keep the page open for a week or so before I close it down.

I hope everyone has enjoyed my journey with my property and have learnt something along the way! I certainly have and will be applying what I know to any properties I may have in the future. It has made me more committed to Permaculture and what it can achieve for our planet.

If you would like to keep in touch I have renamed my Instagram to Kat's Permie Journey, so please give me a follow!

All the best in your journeys and remember always: Earth care, People care, Fair share.

Lots of love,

Kat xx

People and Permaculture: A Book Review

I recently finished a book that I borrowed from the library called People and Permaculture by Looby Macnamara. I had read good things about it somewhere and I thought I would check it out. It is about the people aspect of permaculture and how it can relate to individuals, groups and the world.

As someone who is a very logical person and struggles with managing my relationships and feelings this book brought it all back to permaculture principles which was exactly what I needed to read. I read the odd 'self help' book but this one really spoke to me.

She goes through the first few chapters defining permaculture and how it applies to people, such as the ethics and patterns. A third of the book is how permaculture can apply to yourself and your life and relationships. As I find permaculture a logical way of thinking I found this very useful to apply the same knowledge to my life and see what is and isn't working. I enjoyed working through the activities that were suggested.

The next part of the book is written for groups and how permaculture principles can apply to them to allow for harmonious relationships. As I feel I am still working on myself at this stage it wasn't really relevant to me but I could see that it could be useful to community groups or families. I think a good place to apply these principles would be a shared permaculture household, like David Holmgren explains in his book Retrosuburbia (another fantastic book).

The last part of the book is written on a global scale and how we could more forward as a planet. This involves learning from other cultures in a sensitive way and thinking about the future generations. There are a lot of interesting concepts in this part that is hard to visualise on a day to day basis but when explained in the book it makes a lot of sense. One good example was if the world was represented by 100 people; 1 would be dying of starvation, 17 would be undernourished and 15 would be overweight. Very striking statistics.

The book is essentially a guide to live our lives in a more permacultural way. I got a lot out of the book and will buying a copy for myself in the future and revise it often. Although the group part isn't relevant to me right now I would like to have it as a reference in the future.

Until next time,


The Big Wet

Over the last few weeks we have had some uncharacteristic but welcome heavy spring rains. They have broken the dry spell in our area and we have received probably over 300mL so far. All of our trees and plants are looking a lot happier. This is front little garden, it has our old dwarf citrus trees and some veges inbetween.

After being cooped up for a few weeks we decided to get into the garden on Sunday and get some jobs done. Brodie spread out some mushroom compost around the front yard a few weeks ago so I decided to top up the beds with a bit more mulch. These beds should be good for a while now. This is along the boundary fence. There are pigeon peas, QLD arrowroot and some small trees in here to try and create a living fence.

This is along the other boundary. I planted some volunteer pumpkin plants in here too. That spindly plant is a bamboo that we hope to use to cover the ugly shed next door and use the sticks for building trellises.

We dug up most of Brodie's leftover market garden that was at our place. We want to grow more of our own food over the summer. It is a good period here as we usually have pretty good rainfall and everything grows very quickly. The bits of timber in these photos were given to us by a friend and will form slightly raised beds. We figured this is the best way to go as it is a little slopey here. The reason they aren't assembled is because we ran out of screws!

With all the leftover green material I made a big compost pile in our old bays. We finally got to set them up, 2 years after we have moved in.

A week ago I also made a batch of sauerkraut from cabbage from our garden. It should be ready this weekend. It is satisfying to use our own produce again, lets hope we can get some real productivity over summer.

While it has been so wet we have been catching up on jobs inside like installing ceiling fans and lights. We also got our old leaky concrete tank fixed, now we have 15,000 gal of storage or 57,000L. Feels good to have our water capacity increased again before the summer rains.

Until next time,

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top